Sunday, March 07, 2010

Spring is coming! Getting excited about the season...

As some of you may know, I'm a huge fan of using local produce and supporting local farmers. When at all possible, and during the seasons, I try to cook with food items from within just a few miles from here. Not only does it support the local economy, but it puts a face on the food I buy as well as insures the diners get nothing but the freshest food possible! It blows me away to see how excited people get when they find out they are eating a radish from 10 miles away!

Before planning this springs menu, I got a private tour from a local farmer we use quite a bit. Brent from Barbee Farms in Concord, NC drove me around in his golf cart through the 25 plus acres of farmland. We discussed what they are going to plant this year and giving me tips on the small garden we are planting at the club in a few weeks. (Actually, broccoli, cauliflower and cilantro is going in the ground next week!! I'M PUMPED! More on that later...)

Their web site reads: "The farm currently consists of approximately 25 acres of fresh vegetables, approximately three acres of fruit trees, and 40 additional acres in corn, barley, and soybeans for rotational purposes." Needless to say, we have plenty to chose from this season. I have big plans for the new menu and I cant wait to share this wonderful stuff with the members and my staff! I know they will all be excited to play around with it.

In addition to working with the Barbee family, I will also continue to work with Denise Smart with Nise's Herbs out of Locust, NC. She and her family are just a few miles up the road. She sells some of the best heirloom tomatoes, white figs and hot peppers I've ever had!

Moving forward, we just received our first small order from the Farmers Fresh Market run by the Foothills Connect Project. According to their web site, they are "a virtual "Farmers Market" linking growers, chefs, and individual buyers. Once orders are placed online, local growers process them, and we deliver them - picked and shipped within 24 hours!" It's pretty amazing. With my busy schedule, it saves me from having to make any extra trips to the farmers markets. Although, I still will on occasion, just dont have to so often.

Wow, between the garden we are planting on premises and the tons of access I'll have to local farmers and producers, our new menus are gonna ROCK (more than usual, lol).

Stay tuned...

Tomatoes getting ready for the upcoming season. This pic was taken Friday. Looks like they'll have tomatoes mid-April! :)


Strawberries in the winter? (evil grin) can't wait to grab some of these soon. I ate one, yes, they are good. :)

No comments: