Monday, March 22, 2010

My visit to Creekside Acres Farm

So, in my hunt for chicks, bunnies and/ or ducklings for the kids to pet during our upcoming Easter Egg Hunt, a friend told me about Creekside Acres Farm in New Salem, NC. Though they didn't have any animals for me to borrow, they did mention on their web site that they sell duck eggs! Curious, I've never had one nor have I ever cooked with them. I just had to buy some!

Being a short 30 minute drive, deep into the country from my house, I was greeted by two HUGE, gorgeous Labrador Retrievers doing their jobs and barking at me, wondering what the deal was! They were sweet hearts. A perfect addition to the clucking red chickens roaming all over, the lovely Jersey Cows, the farm cats and, of course, the ducks. There were a few baby goats (kids) roaming around too, just an amazing place. So peaceful and charming.

I was greeted by Kathy and John, down to earth and hard working folks that were just really into what they were doing. I mean, they seem to be living the dream. I was a little envious, to be honest, lol.

So, I scooped up a few dozen duck eggs, a few of those awesome jumbo chicken eggs, some lamb and I was on my way. I plan to play around with the eggs, maybe put a few on special this week, make a dessert, or whatever. Whatever I end up doing with them, I hope the diners will love them.

A couple pictures for your enjoyment;

A few Jersey Cows, beautiful girls!


The chickens run wild! :)


The little store that sells the food. They even have an old out-house around the back like in the old days, lol, awesome.

No comments: