Sunday, May 04, 2008

A Night at the Tractor Pulls...non food related

Yes, another non food related blog, but this might be worth it!

I think that the longer I'm married to a woman from West Virgina, the more red-neck I've become. I find myself attracted to interesting sporting events involving mega-horse powered vehicles. First it was Nascar, then it was dirt track racing, and now TRACTOR PULLS! Shit, whats next, tobacco spitting contests?

The wifey had mentioned that this was something she wanted to check out. I saw the signs advertising it a few days ago and thought it might be fun (huh? I did?!). So, next thing I know I'm sitting on another set of uncomfortable aluminum bleachers with the love of my life watching trucks with over 2500 horsepower attempt to pull heavy stuff 300 feet!

Yes, it was loud, loudest thing Ive ever been to, It actually may have been louder than Iron Maiden at the Worcester Centrum back in '91!

Anyway, there were three classes; 2500 HP two wheel drive mid-sized pickup trucks, 1800 HP diesel tractors affectionately called "smokers" for the billows of black smoke they produce and, lastly and my favorite, the 1800 HP full sized modified four wheel drive pickup trucks. Each class had to pull a couple tons and a "sled" the closest to 300 feet or more as that they could. Total weight, about 38000 pounds!







If you didn't have ear plugs, you were screwed. The exhaust smoke was indescribably thick. We couldn't help but breath it! You could actually taste it in the air! But, BOY WAS THAT FUN!!!

Any who, check out these pics and videos, see what you think...