Monday, March 16, 2009

My pork belly, the "cure" for my cravings/ Part 3, the Finale!

So, if you're following along at home, you may have noticed the wonderful rewards I've earned from giving my 11+ pound fresh pork belly a good home. We made three kinds of cured American style bacon and a flat pancetta called a "stresa". Well, my patience has been rewarded. The pancetta FINALLY had been drying long enough to use.

I decided, since it was breakfast time, to make a hash using my new porky snack with a few other yum-yums I scored from our local producers.

First, I diced up a little bit of this stresa. When I cut into it, I noticed the shear beauty of dry-cured meat and fat staring at me, taunting me, wow. Picture perfect!

I rendered it off until slightly crisp in a saute pan, threw in some half-cooked pan fried potatoes, a dollop of local home-made sweet cream butter (pork fat AND butter? you bad boy!). I let that melt and then added some local organic eggs that had the most orangey yolks I've ever seen! They were glowing like the sun! T'was quite a site.

Lastly, after the eggs were almost done, I threw in a handful of cows milk feta cheese and melted that all together. Few splashes of Chalula Hot Sauce (not local, but hell, it's the best!) and off I went to the big nosh. Washed it down with a few cups of my latest batch of Colombian beans and I was set up for some great things to come (including some flatulence that would indeed haunt me later, but I digress).

I'm trying not to use cuss words in my blog as much as I've been known to, so I can't tell you how holy-shit amazing this was to eat (oops, one slipped out ;) ) . Check out the pictures for yourself.

The finished stresa, what a site to see!


Crispy home-fries like mom used to make :)


"stresa and potatoes sittin' in a tree, K.I.S.S.I.N.G."


Followed up by the whore herself, the adulteress, sweet cream local butter. WHO'S YER DADDY!?


IT'S A BOY? (NO, it's a cholester-f**k :) )

No comments: